Sivut

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bodyweight Challenge: Muscle Up!

It's an Instrument.

Muscle up is probably my favourite bodyweight exercise at the moment. Try it out and maybe you'll understand why. It's harder than it looks.

Here's my two cents for you to get started.

  • Position yourself about one step away from the bar.
  • Jump and grab the bar. Let your body swing forward once. Stay completely relaxed (this is important).
  • When you swing backwards, shoot yourself up with one explosive maneuver. Use your whole body!
  • If anything, your stomach should be the first part of your body (after your hands, duh) touching the cold steel. It's not a pull up so don't pull your chest to the bar!

Extra tip: Do not look at the bar! It will screw up your performance. Keep your face down.

Hopefully you got an idea how to approach the exercise.

Check out my muscle up video below. Me and my friend had a spontanous muscle up challege when we were on our way to a party, hence the unusual choice of workout gear. I tried to compensate lack of warm up with half a bottle of red wine. It worked surprisingly well, so I might make it a habit.



BTW. I lost the muscle up challenge by one rep.